Recylcemania 2012 held its 12th annual competition, had 605 schools participate for 8 weeks this spring.
Stats for this years contest:
- 92 million lbs. of recyclables and organic materials were recovered
- prevented the release of nearly 150,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (MTCO2E).
- this reduction in greenhouse gases =
- annual emissions from more than 25,840 passenger cars
- electricity use of more than nearly 16,406 homes
- the burning of nearly 705 railcars’ worth of coal.
- average recycling rate for participating schools increased from 27.61%to 28.49% over the course of the tournament
- “Grand Champion” (determined by the percentage of overall waste recycled): American University- (85.16 percent) – Washington, D.C.
- “Per Capita Classic” (determined by total pounds of recyclables collected per person): Union College- (61.79 lbs.) – Schenectady, N.Y.
- “Waste Minimization” (determined by the lowest overall amount of recyclables and trash per person): Valencia College – (2.79 lbs.) – Orlando, Fla.
They also hosted the 2nd annual video contest with the theme “The Spirit of Recycling, ” where the public was invited to vote for their favorite videos posted to YouTube, the student submission from Florida State University garnered the most “likes” to win first prize followed by East Tennessee State University. Clemson University’s video received the Judges’ Award.