A collection of tips from posts from the past:
- Bring your own water bottle – You can fly with it – go through security with it empty and fill up on the other side! Many airports refill stations.
- Bring your own coffee mug – Many places offers discounts for BYOM
- Bring your own reusable utensils – like these To-go ware options … and toss in a cloth napkin too.
- Bring a solar panel to recharge – here is the one I have.
- Bring your own snacks on the plane or rail or car .. and for hotel room: snack mix, fruit, granola bars, nuts, instant oatmeal, popcorn (Usually its cheaper, better and healthier!)
- Find options other than flying – can you carpool, train, bus … bike? take a boat? 🙂
- Try public transportation – from the airport, and around town.
- When eating out try for local, sustainable, eco-friendly places – often times someone attending the conference creates a list if you look around for it – and remember you can always ask a place about their policies!
- Limit your swag and picking up promotional materials or handouts that will just be tossed. Can you access the handouts online? Do you really need extra plastic swag? Also note, if you are flying, carrying all that material back home uses energy which really does add up if everyone were to bring back a few extra pounds.
- Take a break and meditate
- Join the Sustainability Round Table of ALA (SustainRT) events!