In 2016-2017, the ALA Executive Board appointed a Special Task Force on Sustainability, charged with developing a white paper and recommendations for the ALA Executive Board, with the intent of increasing the adoption and implementation of sustainable practices by the Association, the profession, libraries and the communities they serve. In their Midwinter 2018 report to the ALA Executive Board, the Task Force co-chairs noted they have focused on two questions to create a vision for the future and action:
What does it look like if libraries are successful in helping create sustainable, resilient, regenerative communities?
What needs to happen, that is not already happening, to support the Association, profession and libraries realize this vision?
They now seeks broad input from the ALA community and will be holding a series of online forums, facilitated by a Task Force member with guiding questions but open discussion, targeting certain populations and capped (at 100), with a general forum for those who have not had an opportunity to contribute. The four sessions are all at the following times: 11:00am-Noon Pacific /2:00-3:00pm Eastern time.
SIGN UP NOW – REGISTRATION LINKS:
- Monday, April 16: SustainRT Membership focus
- Monday, April 23: Academic Library focus
- Thursday, April 26: Public Library focus
- Monday, April 30: Open Session
- If you cannot make any of these dates the Task Force welcomes your input via this online survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ALAsustain