The NEW SustainRT of ALA met for both a walk and an official meeting at ALA Chicago. More details and notes will be in our official ALA connect site soon but a nice overall blog post was writing by one of our founding members Ashley Jones in Proquest’s Blog already. Interested in join? You can sign up in September with ALA, but for now stay informed by joining our new listserv – firstname.lastname@example.org – open to any ALA member by signing up here. The founding members were thrilled with the high attendance at our meeting, all the ideas shared, those who volunteered to help, and those who have been active in the sustainability movement in ALA for years now who shared support.
Stay tuned for more to come about SustainRT … and a blog post soon on an amazing session I attended at ALA: How the Dutch Caribbean Goes Green with Libraries and Other Supporters
Some tips to consider….
- Bring your own water bottle, coffee mug and healthy snacks!
- Take public transportation: from the airports; and around town… or walk! (CTA Link)
- Check out some past tips I suggested for greener travel.
- Look to eat at local, sustainable, eco-friendly places.
- Limit your swag (do you really need that plastic piece of junk?) pick up whats useful only.
- Handouts – will you read them? Take only if you must have it and cannot get it online. And do you need to give them out? Make it small, limit use of ink/color ink if you do.
ALA Sustainability Roundtable (SustainRT) Events:
- We need your ideas! Please join us for the first meeting of ALA’s newest roundtable – SustainRT! Learn about current plans and share your expertise and experiences to help define the strategic direction and engagement of this roundtable. Everyone is invited.
Where: Hyatt Regency McCormick Place (Prairie Room A)
When: Monday, July 1, 2013 – 8:30am to 10:00am
- Join members of SustainRT for an unofficial event at ALA as we take a stroll along the Chicago RiverWalk on Sunday June 30 meeting up by 2:45pm at the corner of East Upper Wacker Drive / North Michigan Avenue (SEE PHOTO). We plan to walk about an hour, heading east toward Lake Michigan, then travel south along Lakefront Trail. At East Monroe, walkers can either turn back, keep going, or turn west back into town toward the Palmer Hilton Hotel. (about 1.5 mile) depending on where you are headed next! Contact Beth (efwilli3 [at] uncg.edu)t o RSVP or with questions!
- Stay informed by joining our new listserv – email@example.com – All ALA members are welcome to sign up: http://lists.ala.org/sympa
- Who we are? The ALA Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) invites the exchange of ideas and opportunities regarding sustainability in order to move toward a more equitable, healthy and economically viable society. The mission of the organization is to provide resources for the library community to support sustainability through curriculum development; collections; exhibits; events; advocacy, communication, library buildings and space design.
Other sustainability related events & programs at ALA Chicago:
- REFORMA program: Libraries empowering communities to deal with Climate Crisis, Sunday June 30, 4:30-5:30, Palmer House Hilton, Crystal Room
- Task Force on the Environment meeting, Friday June 28, 7:30pm-9pm, Hilton Chicago, Buckingham Room
- SRRT/TFOE program:How the Dutch Caribbean Goes Green with Libraries and Other Supporters: A Panel Presentation, Monday July 1, 10:30-11:30am, McCormick Place Convention Center N127
- SRRT’s Program: How to Plan and Run a Successful Human Library: Promoting Understanding, One Conversation at a Time, Sunday June 30, 3-4pm McCormick Place Convention Center N129
- SRRT’s Program: Libraries Transforming Communities, Sunday June 30, 4:30-5:30pm, McCormick Place Convention Center N138
Did you know that McCormick Place, Chicago has several sustainable initiatives?