Some tips to consider….
- Bring your own water bottle, coffee mug and healthy snacks!
- Take public transportation: from the airports; and around town… or walk! (CTA Link)
- Check out some past tips I suggested for greener travel.
- Look to eat at local, sustainable, eco-friendly places.
- Limit your swag (do you really need that plastic piece of junk?) pick up whats useful only.
- Handouts - will you read them? Take only if you must have it and cannot get it online. And do you need to give them out? Make it small, limit use of ink/color ink if you do.
ALA Sustainability Roundtable (SustainRT) Events:
- We need your ideas! Please join us for the first meeting of ALA’s newest roundtable – SustainRT! Learn about current plans and share your expertise and experiences to help define the strategic direction and engagement of this roundtable. Everyone is invited.
- Join members of SustainRT for an unofficial event at ALA as we take a stroll along the Chicago RiverWalk on Sunday June 30 meeting up by 2:45pm at the corner of East Upper Wacker Drive / North Michigan Avenue (SEE PHOTO). We plan to walk about an hour, heading east toward Lake Michigan, then travel south along Lakefront Trail. At East Monroe, walkers can either turn back, keep going, or turn west back into town toward the Palmer Hilton Hotel. (about 1.5 mile) depending on where you are headed next! Contact Beth (efwilli3 [at] uncg.edu)t o RSVP or with questions!
- Stay informed by joining our new listserv – email@example.com – All ALA members are welcome to sign up: http://lists.ala.org/sympa
- Who we are? The ALA Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) invites the exchange of ideas and opportunities regarding sustainability in order to move toward a more equitable, healthy and economically viable society. The mission of the organization is to provide resources for the library community to support sustainability through curriculum development; collections; exhibits; events; advocacy, communication, library buildings and space design.
Other sustainability related events & programs at ALA Chicago:
- REFORMA program: Libraries empowering communities to deal with Climate Crisis, Sunday June 30, 4:30-5:30, Palmer House Hilton, Crystal Room
- Task Force on the Environment meeting, Friday June 28, 7:30pm-9pm, Hilton Chicago, Buckingham Room
- SRRT/TFOE program:How the Dutch Caribbean Goes Green with Libraries and Other Supporters: A Panel Presentation, Monday July 1, 10:30-11:30am, McCormick Place Convention Center N127
- SRRT’s Program: How to Plan and Run a Successful Human Library: Promoting Understanding, One Conversation at a Time, Sunday June 30, 3-4pm McCormick Place Convention Center N129
- SRRT’s Program: Libraries Transforming Communities, Sunday June 30, 4:30-5:30pm, McCormick Place Convention Center N138
Did you know that McCormick Place, Chicago has several sustainable initiatives?
- McCormick Place West Building attained LEED Certification (read more details in their Sustainability Report)
- Recently achieved International Sustainability Standard Certification
- In May, committed to offsetting 100 percent of its electricity usage with clean, affordable wind energy.